The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) has released its Medicare payment recommendations to Congress for 2011. In addition to specific recommendations for payment updates for fee-for-service providers and Medicare Advantage plans, MedPAC’s report includes interesting information and analysis on spending trends, consequences of rapid spending on Medicare and the overall health care system, and the process of assessing payment adequacy.
MedPACs informative, 381-page report includes detailed Medicare reimbursement recommendations for:
- Inpatient hospital services (Inpatient Prospective Payment System or IPPS)
- Outpatient hospital services (Outpatient Prospective Payment System or OPPS)
- Physician services
- Ambulatory surgical centers
- Outpatient dialysis services
- Hospice services
- Post-acute care providers: Skilled nursing facility services, home health services, inpatient rehabilitation facility services, and long-term care hospital services
- Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C)
The report also includes:
- Status report on the Medicare Part D prescription drug program.
- Comparison of quality among Medicare Advantage plans and between Medicare Advantage and fee-for-service Medicare.