MedPAC released its Medicare Data Book for 2010, with a wide range of useful information on Medicare spending, utilization, beneficiaries, providers, health plans, drug plans, access, and quality. The format is reader-friendly charts and tables with bulleted summaries.
Specifically, the latest MedPAC Data Book includes information on:
- Medicare spending, including Medicare spending compared to national health care spending.
- Medicare beneficiary demographics.
- Dual-eligible beneficiaries.
- Medicare quality and access.
- Medicare beneficiary cost sharing and other payer liability.
- Medicare Part B drugs and biologics.
- Medicare Advantage program, including Medicare Advantage plans, Special Needs Plans (SNPs), and enrollment figures.
- Medicare Part D prescription drug program.
MedPAC also provides an array of charts and tables on Medicare providers and care settings, with data on Medicare spending, percent of beneficiaries using the service, number of providers, volume, length of stay, and, where available, profit margins, if
applicable. Provider types covered include inpatient hospitals, outpatient hospitals, physicians, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, long-term care hospitals, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, ambulatory surgical centers, dialysis facilities, and hospice.
MedPAC – the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission – advises Congress on Medicare policy.