Kip Piper's Health Care Blog
Medicare, Medicaid, Health Reform

Of the 45 million Medicare beneficiaries, 19 percent are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage health plan. The other 81 percent choose to remain in traditional fee-for-service Medicare for Part A and Part B services. Governed under Part C of Medicare, Medicare Advantage health plans come in several flavors, most...
My sources in the Bush Administration tell me that the President will nominate Kerry Weems as the next administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Mr. Weems, a savvy finance expert with a long career at HHS, is well-liked by HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt, former Secretary...
Under a new Executive Order, President Bush has significantly expanded the authority of the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) over policymaking by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Specifically, OMB now has the authority to review and approve...
  When asked about health care innovations, especially practices directed at controlling costs, most policymakers and wonks point to private sector solutions, such as the cost-constraining effects of HMOs in the 1990's or today's ideation of consumer-directed health plans. But is this conventional wisdom wrong? What about public sector health...
With sound, furry, and a fair quota of sound bites and photo opps, House Democrats are pushing for quick adoption of H.R. 4, the Medicare Prescription Drug Price Negotiation Act of 2007. The bill would require the Secretary of HHS to negotiate with pharmaceutical manufacturers on drug prices in...
Medicare is a study in contrasts. In its financing, the program is modeled as what health wonks call "social insurance," which in reality is a euphemism for a politically effective but fiscally troubling mix of social welfare, health insurance, and cross-generational income transfers. Limited in coverage, slow to add...
There's a lot of truth in the old joke about the problem with Republicans and Democrats: Republicans need a heart and Democrats need a brain. As Democrats prepare to take control of Congress, they appear eager to prove the joke by pursuing legislation to require government "negotiations" on prescription...
Congress may be in recess but the Bush Administration is already busy developing the President's budget for FY 2008. With federal tax receipts coming in at a rate much higher than expected, some in the Administration see a window of opportunity to propose a budget that would eliminate the...
The White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB) released new Medicaid spending projections, showing a significantly lower rate of growth. Nationally, while federal Medicare costs continue to rise dramatically and far faster than medical inflation, Medicaid spending growth has moderated considerably. Twice each year, OMB releases its latest projections...
Medicare drug plans will dramatically increase coverage of over-the-counter (OTC) drugs in 2007 based on new guidance from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). In creating Medicare Part D, the Medicare Modernization Act (MMA) excluded OTCs from coverage. Taxpayer dollars could not be used to pay for OTC...

Stay Connected

4,885FansLike
7,210FollowersFollow
14,806FollowersFollow

WEATHER

Latest Articles